Prosecutor: Old Bridge Pathmark Shooter Left Shift With No Known Conflict

More details were released on the Old Bridge Pathmark shooting as the Prosecutor's Office continues to investigate the incident.

The Old Bridge Pathmark shooter did not have any known issues with fellow employees or any disputes the night of Aug. 31 when , according to new details released yesterday by Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan and Old Bridge Chief of Police William Volkert.

Although the investigation is continuing, the prosecutor's office said they have confirmed that Terence Tyler, 23, was hired for the midnight to 8 a.m. shift at Pathmark on Aug. 20, 2012 and reported for work on Aug. 31, 2012. Tyler left the store at 3:30 a.m. with no discussion or known conflict with any of the twelve other employees working the overnight shift, the prosectuor's office said.

Investigators say that when he left, he drove to his apartment in Old Bridge and changed into military-issued desert camouflage clothes and returned about 30 minutes later with three weapons, a shotgun, a WASR-10, and a .45-calibur handgun. Despite early media reports stating otherwise, he was not wearing a bullet-proof vest.

According to the prosecutor's office, Tyler exited his vehicle and began firing the WASR-10 assault rifle as he headed toward the supermarket. He aimed at an employee standing outside the store but missed. The employee then ran inside the store and warned co-workers.

The investigation found that Tyler continued firing at employees when he entered the store and that he fired randomly with no intended target, according to the prosectuor's office.

The first 911 call made at 4:04 a.m. alerted police in Old Bridge, who dispatched officers to the scene. Minutes later, police from Sayreville and Perth Amby were also called to the scene.

According to the prosecutor's office, through visual observations made from the front and rear of the store, police were able to determine that there were three people motionless and showing no other signs of life in the store. These individuals later were identified as Tyler and his victims, both of Old Bridge. Each died from a single gunshot wound, the medical examiner’s office reported.

The Middlesex County Prosecutor's Special Operations Response Team (SORT) were contacted and at 5:45 a.m. were ordered into the store. They found Tyler, LoBrutto, and Breen dead. Two employees, who were unable to flee but were able to hide in the store, were found unharmed.

Tyler fired 19 shots from the WASR-10 and 281 live rounds of ammunition designed for the WASR-10 were found at the scene, according to the prosecutor's office. It was determined that Tyler killed himself by firing a single shot to his head with the .45-caliber handgun.

The shotgun was recovered by police from Tyler's vehicle.

Tyler joined the U.S. Marines on March 24, 2008 with a four-year commitment, but he was honorably discharged on Feb. 27, 2010 for medical reasons, according to the prosecutor's office. Tyler was stationed in California and remained there after being discharged.

Between June 2010 and Nov. 2011, after he was discharged but while still living in California, Tyler purchased the shotgun, .45-caliber handgun and WASR-10, which is a Romanian rifle similar to an AK-47 assault weapon, according to the Prosector's Office. The three weapons, as sold, were legal in California. However, the WASR-10 was modified in a way that made it illegal to own in California. According to the prosecutor's office, Tyler misrepresented certain details in three applications to purchase the guns.

In June 2012, Tyler moved to Old Bridge and brought the weapons with him.

The WASR-10 is illegal in New Jersey.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »