The Miss America Pageant moved from Atlantic City to Las Vegas in 2006, but local fans can still see the Miss New Jersey Pageant in Ocean City.
Twenty-five title holders from throughout the state, including one from Freehold, will compete for the Miss New Jersey crown June 14 to 16. The pageant will be held on the for the 17th time this year with shows starting at 7:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.
The winner of the Miss New Jersey Pageant will vie for the Miss America crown in January in Las Vegas.
The gave Ocean City its first glimpse of the contestants on Wednesday, June 13. The Boardwalk parade begins at Sixth Street and ends at 14th Street. All contestants will portray characters from nursery rhymes.
Reigning Miss New Jersey Katharyn Nicolle led the parade on a float. Miss Ocean City Brenna Carnuccio, Little Miss Ocean City Cassidy Diamond and Junior Miss Ocean City Kylie Clearkin also rode in the parade, which also features marching bands, floats, a calliope and other entries.
Former Miss New Jersey and standup comic Dena Blizzard returns as emcee and promises to keep the pageant fun while running smoothly.
Blizzard will be assisted by co-host Brian Shahwan. John Zisa, who has entertained during the pageant in recent years, is now directing the program. Dance routines will be choreographed by Gabrielle Kadets. Robin Filippone is pageant producer.
Reigning Miss New Jersey Katharyn Nicolle and Miss New Jersey Outstanding Teen Amanda Ross are scheduled to perform. The program will also feature song, dance and specialty numbers by the contestants.
Pageant preliminaries will be held on the Music Pier Thursday and Friday (June 14 and 15) with finals scheduled for Saturday (June 16).
- Call 609-315-1423.
- Tickets are $35 for preliminaries, $50 for the final with a package price of $100 for all three nights.
- For other pageant information, call 609-525-9300.
Those competing for Miss New Jersey include:
- Hilary Levin, Miss Central Coast, Freehold, a graduate of Syracuse University. Platform: Healthier Living.
- Kaitlyn Schoeffel, Miss Avalon, Egg Harbor Township, a student at Montclair University. Platform is Volunteerism.
- Lindsey Petrosh, Miss Atlantic County, Egg Harbor City, a graduate of Rowan University. Platform is also Volunteerism.
- Lauren Talvacchio, Miss Liberty, Washington Township, a graduate of West Chester University. Platform: “The Silent Struggle, Living with Crohn's and Colitis.
- Lindsey Giannini, Miss Gloucester County, Hammonton, a student at Rowan University. Platform: Raising Awareness on Dangers of Texting While Driving.
- Anna M. Negron, Miss Coastal Shore, Vineland, a student at Seton Hall University. Platform: Drunk Driving Awareness.
- Courtney Charatsaris, Miss Cape Shores, Totowa, a graduate of Montclair State University. Platform: Care 4 a Cure Cancer Research.
- Kayla Collymore, Miss Middlesex County, Neptune, a student at Rutgers University. Platform: Education on Environmental Issues.
- Christine Skorenko, Miss Monmouth County, Eatontown, a student at Johnson and Wales College. Platform: Opening the Epilepsy Window.
- Jennifer Taylor, Miss Cape May County, Millville, a student at Arcadia University. Platform: To Make the Best Better.
- Courtney Fairfield, Miss South Shore Area, Egg Harbor Township, a student at Widener University. Platform: Breast Cancer Promotion and Awareness.
- Samantha Mason, Miss Cumberland County, Vineland, a student at Cumberland County College/TCNJ. Platform: Power of Youth Through Agriculture.
- Livia Jennings, Miss South Jersey, Carney’s Point, a student at Rowan University. Platform: Anti-Bullying.
- Carissa Palumbo, Miss Tri County, Wayne, a student at Rowan University. Platform: “The Queen of Hearts Foundation.”
- Krysten Moore, Miss Bergen County, Mahwah, a student of UMASS- Amherst. Platform: Education and Prevention of Childhood Bullying.
- Chrystina Lynn Lewis, Miss Salem County, Pennsville, a student at the Academy of Massage and Bodywork. Platform: Drive Safe N.J.
- Vanessa Baez, Miss Columbus Day, Bloomfield, a student a Montclair State University. Platform: Giving Back, Helping Heroes In Need.
- Nychole Hunt, Miss Eastern Shore, Scotch Plains, a student at the University of Phoenix. Platform: Sickle Cell Anemia Awareness.
- Breanne Ray, Miss Atlantic Shores, Williamstown, a student at the University of Delaware: Platform: Shine Through Mentorship.
- Cierra Kaler-Jones, Miss Northern Lakes, Galloway Township, a student at Rutgers University. Platform: Empowering Today’s Youth through Arts Education.
- Angelica Nardi, Miss Seashore Line, Millville, a student at Cumberland County College. Platform: Inspiring Self Discipline, Mind and Body.
- Ellen Chu, Miss Gateway, Park Ridge, a student at Rutgers University. Platform: Overcoming Obstacles, Disabilities Awareness.
- Nicole Washington, Miss Union County, Scotch Plains, a student a Seton Hall University. Platform: NA.
- Madison Alterman, Miss Camden County, Voorhees, a student at Temple University. Platform: Anti-Bullying Through the Development of Communication Skills,
- Olivia Michael, Miss Stars and Stripes, Bergenfield, a student at the College of New Jersey. Platform: “Arts for Everyone,” Providing Arts for Underprivileged Kids.